5 Tips to Get a Head Start in Your Field
The competition in every field can be tough. If you want to have a successful career, you’ll need to get a head start. Here are 5 tips to help you get ahead:
- Take full advantage of your education. A career training college can help you get to where you want to go. An education not only offers essential coursework, but it also provides valuable resources. Tap into all that a career college has to offer such as tutoring services, career workshops, job placement assistance, a network of alumni, and strong connections to top employers.
- Establish a professional online presence. An online presence is almost expected nowadays, so make it a professional one. Adjust your privacy settings on your social media profiles and untag, hide, or remove photos that you wouldn’t want a potential employer to see. Create a professional profile on a networking site such as LinkedIn. Upload your résumé, add areas of expertise, and connect with others.
- Get certified. If your field offers or requires certifications, research which ones are applicable to you. Even if a certification isn’t required, it could still help you meet your career goals. For example, in the information technology (IT) field, there’s a range of technical certifications that can benefit your career. Add your certifications to your résumé and LinkedIn profile.
- Create a stellar résumé. The best way to separate yourself from the rest of the pack is with a solid résumé. Your résumé makes a first impression and you’ll want to make it a good one. Choose a format and layout that’ll best highlight your skills. Identify your accomplishments, rather than making broad statements. Don’t forget to tailor your résumé for the job you’re applying.
- Find a mentor. As you get started in your field, find a mentor who can help guide you along the way. For example, if you want to work in the healthcare field, talk to any friends or family who work in a medical office. Connect with instructors or graduates and follow their lead toward success.
Do you want to get more career advice? Check out our blog for more tips. If you’d like to get started on the path to success, Asher College is a career college that offers flexible classes to fit your schedule, personalized instruction, hands-on learning opportunities, and four convenient locations. We care about the success and future of our students and we want to help you reach your goals. Start today! Fill out the form on this page for more information.