Mary Jane De La Cruz, Department of Pharmacy
So you’re interested in becoming a Pharmacy Technician? Asher College is an excellent choice for your education and training! Asher College is proud to have an amazing staff of dedicated professional instructors, and this month we highlight a favorite Pharmacy Technician instructor, Mary Jane De La Cruz.
Mary Jane De La Cruz works at our Asher Las Vegas campus and brings almost twenty years of experience in pharmaceutical medicine to Asher’s staff. She was born in the Philippines where she graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in Pharmacy and a Master of Science degree in Pharmacy. In 1991, Jane began her career as a Professor and Researcher at the Centro Escolar University in the School of Pharmacy in the Philippines where she continued teaching until 2013 when she moved to Las Vegas, Nevada. In October 2017, Mary Jane De La Cruz decided to return to teaching, and accepted a position at Asher College. She loved not only the flexibility, but the opportunity to teach both young people and busy older adults.
Mary Jane De La Cruz is a well-respected and beloved teacher at Asher College in Las Vegas, in the Pharmacy department and beyond. We love Ms. De La Cruz for her drive and desire to find creative ways to improve the program and help her students succeed. “I want our future Pharmacy Technician graduates here at Asher College to become competent members of the healthcare team, assisting pharmacists in providing the best possible care for patients” said De La Cruz.
According to Ms. De La Cruz , the key to a good medical professional is customer service, patience and focus. Many of her past students are now pharmacy techs, registered pharmacists, pharmacy managers, and pharmacy owners. Some students have followed in her footsteps, and are now teaching in pharmacy schools.
De La Cruz says, “Being a pharmacist or pharmacy tech and working in health care, you can make a lot of difference in people’s lives by ensuring that patients receive everything they need to avoid disruption to therapy. You are helping them to have healthier, longer and happier lives. That is why you have to put your whole heart and soul into it.”
Some of Mary Jane’s accomplishments include:
- Being a Registered Pharmacist in the Philippines
- Publishing two books on Pharmacy: Pharmaceutical Jurisprudence and Ethics and Pharmaceutical Care.
- Co-authoring four pharmacy manuals; she was also recently recruited to review textbook manuscripts with Elsevier
- Publishing her research in the Journal of Pharmacovigilance
- Being awarded the “Most Outstanding Pharmacy Alumni of 2011 in the Field of Academe” by Centro Escolar University School of Pharmacy, Manila Philippines
- Volunteering as a PTCE Item Writer since 2018. This year she was nationally one of only eight total outstanding item writer mentors helping to develop and review new test questions for the PTCE. (Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam)
- National Association of Boards of Pharmacy (NBAP) member from 2016-present
- American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) member from 2018- present
- National Pharmacy Technician Association (NPTA) member from 2018 – present
The Pharmacy Technician program at Asher College combines hands-on labs with informative lectures. The program prepares graduates for the nationally recognized Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam (PTCE) from the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB). The program also prepares Asher’s graduates to obtain their state licenses in the state in which they’ve been training: Nevada, California and Texas.
Are you ready to learn more about Asher’s Pharmacy Technician program? To learn more, both virtual and on- campus tours are available. Call 888-211-8829 to speak with an Admissions Advisor or click here to book a virtual or on-campus tour. Why wait? Call or click today!